Saturday 3 September 2011

Significant Event

A Part of GMAT essays for Boston University


In any field in life one of the most difficult things to do is to bring about a change. It is human nature to resist change and same was the case with my family who were shocked with my decision to pursue Bachelor of Technology after I finished class XII. Essentially, I had the option to either take up Engineering and follow my dreams or take up Bachelor of Arts and take the commonly followed way. It was a difficult decision as it greatly affected how my career would shape in the years to come. Taking the wrong decision would have meant that I spend years in wilderness searching for my identity.
One reason that made the decision more difficult was people’s opinions. Not surprisingly, most of them advised me to follow the “proven” path as was followed by my sisters before and was an easy thing to do. It was difficult to go against the family decisions and follow my dreams. Of course, the advices offered were sincere and meant to help me, but it made me difficult to follow my heart. While I was open to people’s advice, finally I decided to follow my heart. To do that, first I tuned out the outside noise which just contributed more to the already existing dilemma.
I decided to follow my heart and pursue my passion. In cases where different passions conflict with each other and make it difficult to reach a decision, we should go where our passions unify. This lesson helped me make my decision. By pursuing my dream, I was able to go into the technical depth and explore new avenues, while if I would have chosen the other option, I might not have been able to make use of my technical and analytical abilities. I have learnt that if you do something which you like no one can stop you from excelling in the field. 
People who dare to take risk and be different are those who change the world. They are the ones who make history. There is always the fear of the unknown, and it’s not easy to overcome it. I did not want to take up something just to meet other people’s expectations. The situation demanded me to take risk, be different and prove my worth. Sometimes the events in our life give us an opportunity to follow our dreams. I had the percentage and the school curriculum which gave me the extra edge to get admitted to a good Engineering college. I had the opportunity to make a change in my life, and I seized it.
After struggling for some time, I finally made the decision: I took the risk and pursued my dream. It was a difficult decision, but I learned a great deal about making such decisions in life. Following the path never tread before and doing so against your family wishes was a big step I took, but I proved my worth and passed Engineering with flying colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment